I’m so happy to be joining you today with a card for this week’s ATSM Challenge #181 Anything Goes.
Prize is a $15 certificate
My Card: Using Happy Little Stampers Sentiment Thinking of You.
This was a fussy card to make! It is all paper piecing! 🙂 I will try to remember and explain how I made this card, but I made it quite a while ago (at least 2 years ago?), so I’m going by memory on this ladies! 😉 I did not know how to finish it, so I set it aside. Recently, when I was looking at it and thought of this challenge I decided that a simple ombre sentiment might be all it needed.
How I made this card: (Also, PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR A TUTORIAL SLIDESHOW)
(I have updated these instructions after making another card today (Wed 17 Feb) and following the instructions myself. Please look for the BOLD lettering for some possibly helpful tips.)
The 2 together. Today’s card on the left, the original on the right.
1. I chose 8-10 different colors of cs and cut them to measure 5 1/2″ x 4 1/4″. (Update from my remake today: You may want to increase these dimensions by 1/4″ to make it less fussy. I had a lot of pieces that were too small and would not reach to the edge of the adhesive paper.)
2. I cut those pieces in half – leaving me with 2 of each color, measuring 2 3/4″ x 4 1/4″. I set aside 1 of each color.
3. I drew a pencil mark at the midpoint edge of the 4 1/4″ side of one color, lets say it was the lightest pink. Then, using a ruler, I made tick marks at irregular intervals along the opposite 4 1/4″ side.
4. I continued making marks along the 2 3/4″ sides. (I did not bother with this today. I merely moved the paper at an angle and sliced a thin triangle.)
5. I can’t remember if I connected the tick marks to make triangles or if a simply lined up the marks as I used my paper trimmer to cut the slices. (Update: I found that drawing the lines was a waste of time. Basically I winged it!)
6. I followed this same method for all the remaining colors of cs.
7. I cut 2 pieces of adhesive paper/label paper to measure 2 3/4″ x 4 1/4″. (Update: Depending on whether you increase the size of your colored cs rectangles or not you may want to decrease the size of the adhesive paper.)
8. I proceeded to make the first sunburst (I think I did the sky first), carefully adhering the different colors in a semi-random pattern to the sticky side of the adhesive paper.
(I made a crease down the center of the adhesive paper and started my pattern from there.)
9. Setting that aside, I made the bottom half/water in the same manner.
10. I punched/die cut a circle/sun out of the bottom middle of the sky panel.
11. I punched/die cut a circle of yellow cs and taped into the hole with some masking tape/paper.
12. I trimmed the bottom bit of the sun to be even with the bottom edge of the sky panel.
13. I cut another piece of adhesive paper, measuring 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″ and carefully lined up the sky and the water, adhering it to the adhesive paper. (I added a thin strip of orange cs in between the two starburst/sunset panels. It runs the width of the card and measures approximately 1/18″ wide.)
14. Trimmed the panel to 5 1/16″ x 4 1/16″.
15. Dry embossed with circle embossing folder, dry embossed again with striped embossing folder.
PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR A TUTORIAL SLIDESHOW
Here’s today’s remake of my initial card:
Lots of POPS of color and the sun pops too, so I’d like to play along at Word Art Wednesday’s Challenge #220: Anything Goes and at Inkspirational’s Challenge #102: Pop.
Here’s a quick slideshow of the process I used today:
Again, here are the 2 side by side:
Make sure you stop by the blog and check out my teammates’ beautiful work! Please do check our rules at the top of the challenge blog page if you are new to our challenge blog.
Thanks for stopping by!
Places I’m Playing: